Saturday 21 June 2008

TBTA and music to follow

Boy and I took a picnic lunch on our walk along the beach, and watched the boats taking part in the Old Gaffers' race from Brightlingsea. Weather overcast with threatening black skies, but it didn't ever quite get round to raining.



Off to Chelmsford (again) for another concert this evening (this is becoming a habit, but I'm certainly not complaining!). This time, it was the Waltham Singers and the Salomon Orchestra, joined by Schlosskirchenkantorei, on a visit from Weilburg, Germany.

Brahms' Academic Festival Overture, conducted by Andrew Fardell was followed by Mendelssohn's Psalm 95, conducted by Doris Hagel.

For me the high point had to be Elgar's The Music Makers, conducted by Andrew Fardell, with Margaret McDonald , mezzo-soprano. A magnificent and deeply moving performance.


We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;—
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems . . .

3 comments:

Hedgelands Glass Lass said...

Hope the concert was fabulous and thank you for posting such gorgeous pics! A little surprise for you on my blog ; )

BooksPlease said...

Great photos - I love the beach huts, a bit like the ones I saw last week at Southwold.

Juliet said...

Michele - the concert was superb. And thanks for the Award! I'm honoured.

BP - yes, I enjoyed your Southwold pics, thanks. The beach huts there are particularly lovely and some of the most sought-after in the region (if not the country!). You might like these drawings by my friend Karen: http://karenfardell.blogspot.com/search?q=southwold