Thursday 3 July 2008

Your chance to vote for Shed of the Year 2008


I'm a great devotee of the Shedworking blog - 'the only daily updated guide to the lifestyles of shedworkers and those who work in shedlike atmospheres' - although I've never actually worked in a shed (but I did play in some excellent ones as a child).

The nearest I've come to working in a 'shedlike atmosphere' is when I used to have a desk and PC in a [converted!] stable in the garden of my previous home. I adored working down there - especially after dark, for some reason. Something to do with the mental space created by the physical distance from family and domestic duties, I imagine. Now I'm back indoors again and it just isn't the same at all. So Shedworking is a little haven of dreams and inspirations. (I've even contributed a shedworking photo of my own, though not exactly of the rustic idyll variety.)

Anyway, Alex, who runs Shedworking, emailed yesterday with a reminder of the Shed of the Year competition 2008, for which voting closes tomorrow (Friday). I'm just about to dash over to select my favourite from the shortlisted categories. I suspect I shall be choosing between a garden office or a beach hut. Although there is also an entire Tardis section, or if you prefer, what about the Caribbean-style summer house complete with 'rum store'? Hmmm. It's quite possible that I shall still be deciding late into the night . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Shedworking too. And I'm still fantasising about restoring the old stone outhouse here (once a privy) and making it my very own shed/summerhouse. Does stone count? Or does a shed have to be wood?

Alex Johnson said...

Any material you like. Shedworking is all about emotional attachment rather than concrete architecturality.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Alex - now I do feel inspired.