Sunday 3 August 2008

Feelin' good


Reflected once again last night on the curious ability of a well-made 'feel-good' movie to make one, in short, Feel Good.

At the end of a day in which I achieved nothing more than some inconsequential domestic cleaning and tidying, followed by further cleaning and tidying, most of it carried out with extremely bad grace whilst railing silently at absent family members through clenched teeth . . . I was utterly ready for bed shortly after nine.

Was also feeling grumpy at having twisted my knee whilst negotiating a groyne* earlier in the evening.

While waiting for the kettle to boil for two large restorative mugs of tea, I slumped on the sofa, flicked on the telly and there was good old Bridget Jones's Diary. I've seen it dozens of times so I wasn't going to bother watching it again, especially given how out of kilter it was with my extremely foul mood.

Well, OK, just until I down the first mug of tea, then. Hmm, actually, it's worth watching just a tiny bit more, so I'll just pour myself a small glass of wine . . .

By the closing credits I was purring. And I went to bed a happy woman. How incredibly shallow and easily manipulated I am!

* note crucial spelling here - I'm referring to inadvisedly jumping off a wooden structure jutting out of the sea , rather than anything of a more intimate nature ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shallow's OK, J. I'm the same about the film, Notting Hill. I watch it whenever it's on TV (even though I have the DVD) - partly for the Rhys Ifans T-shirt moment, but also to remind myself of all the years when lived just round the corner from the famous blue door. I also watch it for the deliciously sloppy soundtrack - but only when I'm on my own.

Juliet said...

Oh yes, being shallow is best left until one's either alone or with a deeply kindred spirit and a bottle of wine. I have a whole shelf of shallow DVDs I wouldn't dream of watching while there's anyone else in the house!

Jane Badger said...

Hah! I too was watching Bridget Jones' Diary, which I must know thereabouts off by heart by now. I love it.